Virginia has numerous regional food directories that list producers, farmers’ markets, community supported agriculture (CSA) programs, grocers, and restaurants that support Virginia-grown food.
Blue Ridge Region
New River Valley Local Food Directory provides detailed information on producers, restaurants, farms, and grocers serving the New River Valley and surrounding area.
Roanoke Valley Locavore Directory lists producers, farms, farmers markets and retail outlets within a 100 miles of the City of Roanoke.
Rappahannock Natural Foods Cooperative a small farmers’ coop supplies customers in the Washington DC area to shop at one location for all their local and natural farm products from a reliable source . They guarantee their products as being locally produced and humanely and locally processed.
Grayson LandCare is a locally organized group of farmers, landowners, and residents that educate about economic and environmental problems in southwest Virginia. Check out their Farmers’ Market in Independence, VA.
South Central Region
Virginia Grown has a website that you can search for markets by region, zipcode and product.
Franklin County Fresh Foods presents the Land Between the Lakes Local Food & Gardening Guide including producers and stores carrying local food in Franklin County and the surrounding area.
Buy Fresh, Buy Local Shenandoah Valley Cities of Harrisonburg, Staunton, Waynesboro, Buena Vista, Winchester, and Lexington, as well as Augusta, Bath, Highland, Page, Rockbridge, Rockingham, and Shenandoah, Clarke, Frederick, and Warren Counties.
You can also use the Buy Fresh, Buy Local Guide and VDACS to search for farmers’ markets in your particular region:
Buy Fresh, Buy Local: You can search this website for dairy, eggs, meat, poultry, seafood, produce, and wine, as well as by category (Catering, CSA’s, Farmers’ Markets, Grocers/Co-ops, Orchards, Restaurants/Bakeries, Specialty Products and U-Pick).
- Charlottesville BFBL Provided by the Piedmont Environmental Council (PEC), Charlottesville area guides include the City of Charlottesville, Albemarle, Greene, Louisa, Fluvanna, and Nelson Counties.
- Fredericksburg Area BFBL Provided by Quinrivers. Stafford, Spotsylvania, Caroline, King George counties, and Westmoreland as well as the City of Fredericksburg.
- Hampton Roads BFBL The Cities of Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Suffolk, Isle of Wight and Surry Counties, and the Eastern Shore of Virginia.
- Loudoun County BFBL Provided by PEC.
- Northern Piedmont Provided by PEC. Northern Piedmont guides include Madison, Orange, Culpeper, Rappahannock, and Fauquier Counties.
- Northern Virginia BFBL Sponsored by Inova Health System, the Northern Virginia Chapter includes the City of Fairfax, City of Alexandria, and Arlington and Fairfax Counties.
- Richmond BFBL Provided by the Center for Rural Culture, Richmond area guides include the City of Richmond, Charles City, Chesterfield, Goochland, Hanover, Henrico, New Kent, and Powhatan Counties.
- South Centre Corridors The new South Centre Corridors Chapter covers Dinwiddie, Greensville, Prince George, Southampton, and Sussex counties as well as the cities of Hopewell and Petersburg.